Sustainability & Energy Efficiency Contractors
Sustainability is integrated into all that Cochran does:
- In our operations and company culture, and
- In our commitment to providing the best value to our clients through practical, creative, and cost effective solutions.
We take green electrical contracting & sustainability seriously. From our corporate headquarters, where energy-efficient lighting is controlled by motion and daylight sensing devices, to our mandatory job-site recycling programs for scrap metal and all other jobsite waste, we’re doing our part to help create a sustainable future for generations to come.
How Green Are We?
We are making progress. Over the last couple of years we have come to better understand our impact on the environment and begin the process of improving our Green House Gas Emissions.
Our baseline Carbon Footprint was taken in 2008 and we began monitoring our emissions continually in 2009. From 2008 through 2010 we saw a reduction in our emissions of 9%!
This number amazed us, and we're excited to move forward and make even more progress improving our environmental impact over the next few years.
What we're doing now.
For our clients:
- LEED Accredited Professionals managing projects.
- Industry research identifying newest proven technologies to incorporate into existing and new systems.
- Life Cycle Cost Analysis for fixtures to determine best value and associated environmental impacts.
- Facilitation of energy rebates from local utilities.
- Mandatory job site recycling of scrap metal to reduce waste.
- Tailored solutions designed and installed to create energy efficient and budget conscious electrical, security, communications, audio/visual, and wireless systems.
For our company:
- Cochran has a "Green" task force that leads Cochran's sustainability efforts for our clients and our offices, generating new ideas, researching the latest developments, and reinforcing Cochran's committment to responsible, sustainable business practices.
- "Right-sizing" the corporate fleet to match the vehicle with the job and reduce the number of over-sized vehicles being used on a daily basis.
- Office remodel including new energy saving HVAC system, energy efficient lighting controlled by motion & daylight sensing devices, and installation of re-used office furniture to further reduce our environmental impact.
- Offering composting as well as recycling options in our offices and educating our employees on how it all works.
- Currently in the process of creating employee incentives for car pooling, driving more fuel efficient vehicles, and reducing waste and energy usage around our offices.
Creating Innovative Environmental Solutions
Cochran is a part of the "Green Movement" on a number of different levels. Commercial building electrical and low voltage systems are our core strength, but Cochran is always striving to create value and provide our customers with the systems they need to meet their business and environmental goals.
Cochran & Green Marine Shore Power
Cochran's Marine Shore Power System was born out of that drive to satisfy the needs of our customers. When Princess Cruise Lines approached us about creating a system capable of supplying electrical power from the grid to a Cruise Ship at Seattle's Terminal 30, we immediately went to work and produced a one-of-a-kind system that reduces noxious gas emissions by up to 87 tons each time a ship connects.
The Cochran Marine Shore Power system now has patent pending status and is installed in Seattle, WA, Vancouver, BC, San Francisco & San Diego, CA and we have systems underway in Long Beach, CA and Brooklyn, NY.